This is an off topic from my usual programming articles.
Late last year (2019) and this year, the world saw a surprise from the outbreak of the Coronavirus, which started from China and later spread over more than 50 countries as of writing this articles. There have been numerous deaths, about 3000 as of end of February 2020, and over 80,000 positive cases worldwide, and the end does not seem anywhere near.
Just yesterday the world health organization announced that they are bumping up the outbreak to “Very High” level from their prior “High” level.
I am a computer programmer, and I would like to plan and think logically. That’s what I get paid for. So, even though the case has not been so serious so far in the United States where I reside, there have been few cases of Community spread (where the source of spread is unknown).
This article is not to instill fear or chaos, but however I would like people to think about what what they would do if the virus spread at a pandemic level. What emergency preparation would you do? On a case like this and other natural disasters, its always better safe that to be sorry.
Assuming that the virus spread fast and wide, and then you need to quarantine yourself or your loved one at your house or residence, do you have enough to survive for few weeks to a month? Do you have enough food, do you have basic medicines? Do you have sanitary stuffs? I am not saying go buy the whole store or fill your whole house with stacked up items, which you may or may not need. Just saying take some precautions, identify items you might need (every person’s need is different), and put some basic items at a close reach and potentially stack some items at your home.
So, here is what I am doing. I sat by a dinner table with my family of 3 and we asked each other what we would need. This is being prepared, not panicking. I got a lot of help from my 5 year old. He would think about things we would not have thought. It’s a team work !!
NON PERISHABLE FOODS:
These are the foods that have longer self life, and you don’t need to have special conditions such as refrigeration.
- Pasta/Noodles/Macaroni etc.
- All purpose Flours
- Pancake Flours
- Beans – pinto beans, kidney beans, lentils etc.
- Granola Bars
- Energy Bars
- Fruit pouches
- Dry Fruits such as raisins, dates
- Trail Mix etc.
- Canned Food:
- Canned Fruits
- Canned Beans
- Canned Vegetables
- Canned Meats etc.
- Powdered Milk
- Powdered Juices
- Sauces (e.g. Alfredo /Marinara for pasta)
- Water Bottles or some water source / filters / Lifestraw
- Dry spices
- Neutrella (Dried Indian soyabean cakes)
- Vegetable Oils
SANITORY AND PERSONAL HIEGENE
- Bathroom Tissues /Napkins / Disinfectant wipes
- Dish soaps
- Laundry Soaps
- Contact Lens / Contact Solutions (if you use them)
- Pain Relievers
- Fever Reducers
- Cough and Cold reducers
- Medicines for Diarrhea
- Hand Sanitizers
LONG TERM FREEZING
If you have freezer, maybe one in your garage, you might have some long term freezer items such as:
- Frozen Breads (e.g. Indian Parathas)
- Dumplings etc. depending on what you eat.
This assumes you would continue to have electricity. If electricity has gone for too long, do not use the items.
OTHER MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS:
- Gas (In case you need to go to Emergency rooms etc)
- Trash Bags
- Disposable cups/papers/plates
- Torch Light
- N95 Masks
- Propane /Coals (if you primarily cook with electricity, this serves as backup)
This is not a complete list, and based on your needs, you might need less of these supplies and more of other supplies. I am only helping to get you started on your thought. Hope this helps to start thinking about what you might need as an emergency preparedness.
People might land in this page if they are looking for:
- Emergency preparenedss for Corona virus
- What items to stack up for emergency situations
- Items to buy for outbreak situations etc.
Useful Resources [ Disclaimer: External Websites. We are not affiliated with anyone of them]
- Tracking the death and new cases – BNONews
- CDC Website – Coronavirus
- National Institute of Health – Coronavirus
- World Health Organization – Coronavirus